During our birthday, DA POGI and I decided to go on a roadtrip to the Ilocos Region.
Things I learned during our trip.
1. Alternate Routes does not necessarily mean the shortest way. And it may not exactly mean the best way. It just means that it is an alternate and it's up to you if you want to take it or not. On our way to La Union, we passed by an Alternate Route in Pangasinan. We completely missed Manaoag.
2. Bring lots of music with you. Some parts of northern luzon only has AM radio. And the announcers speak in Ilocano. Our Creative Zen has proven that indeed the battery life lasts 12 hours.
3. We spent our first night in Vigan, and our second night in Pagudpud. We decided to go home after Pagudpud because we have seen most of everything. :)
4. For this trip, we spent the most for lodging and gas. These two took more than half of our budget.
5. Since there are only 2 of us in the car, we had no concept of packing light. My best tip for packing is to bring what is enough for the number of days + 2 days. So example, you'll be spending 3 days away from home, pack for 5 days. If the trip is more than 2 weeks, pack for 2 weeks worth of clothes. Of course make sure that clothes mix and match. :D
6. Off Lotion is your best friend. Use liberally especially if you are going to places for the first time. Better to be safe than sorry.
7. There are not enough things to talk about on a 14 hour trip. Think of a long road trip as bonding time. My husband and I were talking throughout most of the trip. Well except for times that he was snoozing and I was driving. :D
8. 100kph on NLEX is slow. I was going at that speed early Thursday morning and I was being passed by buses and trucks.
9. Invest in a good map. We bought a map of San Fernando, Vigan, and Laoag for this trip and they have proven to be very useful in terms of mapping out destinations and tourist spots.
10. Relax and Enjoy the ride.
DA GANDA blogged @ 10/16/2005 05:03:00 PM